Our "Toriex" lenses are made of Polycarbonate (PC). Polycarbonate lenses successfully combine a number of exceptional qualities and in a number of parameters are many times superior to the huge number of currently existing organic lenses.
Polycarbonate has been known since 1955 and is currently used in the aviation and space industries. The first polycarbonate spectacle lenses appeared in the early 80s, but their widespread use in optics began not so long ago, after a significant improvement in its characteristics.
Advantages of polycarbonate lenses
Polycarbonate (Marlon, Lexan, PC) has a number of properties that play an important role in optics:
- The most important property of polycarbonate is its high impact resistance. Polycarbonate lenses are 10-12 times stronger than other organic lenses and 200 times stronger than mineral lenses.
- Polycarbonate is sometimes called "plastic metal". Indeed, the strength index of polycarbonate is the same as that of aluminum and is twice as high as the strength index of zinc.
- Polycarbonate lenses deform under the excessive shock load and do not shatter into small fragments. Therefore, polycarbonate eyeglass lenses are the safest among the available mineral and polymer eyeglass lenses. According to this criterion, only spectacle lenses made of new impact-resistant polymers Trivex and Brite can compete with them.
- The refractive index of polycarbonate is 1.59 (CR-39 has a refractive index of 1.5). A higher refractive index of polycarbonate compared to conventional plastic means that the lenses will be thinner.
- Low specific gravity (1.20 g / cm3), which causes the lightness of eyeglass lenses made of polycarbonate.
- Polycarbonate is resistant to heating (melting point 140 °), which means that the lenses are practically not deformed. This is especially important for those working in conditions where the temperature reaches very high values (hot shops, etc.).
- Polycarbonate completely absorbs UV radiation in the range up to 380 nm, and unlike other polymers, polycarbonate lenses do not need to be subjected to special treatment to enhance UV-protective properties.
- Polycarbonate lenses are environmentally friendly and can be recycled.
Due to these advantages, polycarbonate eyeglass lenses are indispensable for children, for those who lead an active lifestyle, play sports, and make special demands on the safety of their eyes. Polycarbonate lenses are ideal for lightweight and durable titanium, as well as for special sports frames. Therefore, Torege makes sunglasses only from high-quality materials, taking care of your health.