Cycling glasses are not only a fashionable and stylish accessory but also an important element of protective equipment. They are necessary for both beginners and professional cyclists, as they protect the eyes from the effects of negative external factors and make trips more comfortable.
Cycling glasses are different from ordinary sunglasses. To find the right model, let's look at what you should pay attention to when buying.
Cycling glasses have a special shape, reliably covering the eyes from the front and sides. Wearing them while riding, you will protect your eyes from:
- oncoming and crosswind, from which the eyes begin to water and it quite problematic to control the road;
- insects, small midges, fluff flying in the air, especially in the forest, in the field, on the road;
- sand, dust, small stones and dirt flying out from under the wheels of cars on the road, etc.;
- branches, cobwebs in the forest;
- bright sunlight, glare, blinding headlights of oncoming cars in the dark;
- ultraviolet radiation;
- During the rain, they protect the eyes from water and dirt. If the glasses have a hydrophobic coating, then raindrops will not linger on the glasses and impair visibility.
Lenses for cycling should:
- be made of durable materials such as polycarbonate. It is light in weight and at the same time resistant to damage. Glass lenses can break into small fragments and damage the eyes. Polycarbonate, in this case, simply cracks or deforms;
- have a coating that blocks ultraviolet radiation. UV rays negatively affect vision and can cause discomfort, tearing, burning, and in large doses even contribute to the development of eye diseases. The UV filter in sports cycling glasses will help protect your eyes;
- have an additional coating as anti-glare, anti-fog, hydrophobic;
- have a polarizing coating. The light from the headlights of oncoming cars, reflections from wet asphalt or other reflective surfaces can temporarily blind a cyclist on the road. Polarization blocks horizontal rays of light, glare, and makes the image clearer;
- have a different degree of darkening and color depending on the time of day and weather conditions. For cloudy weather and cycling in the dark, it is better to choose sports glasses with light yellow or orange lenses. For clear sunny days - brown, black, gray, mirror lenses.
FEATURE OF EYEGLASS FRAMES FOR CYCLING
- be light, but at the same time durable. Heavy rims can cause discomfort and distract the cyclist from the road during the trip.
- be matched to the size of the face. Sports glasses for cyclists should fit tightly, but not squeeze.